AMC 8 Registration 2023-2024. Grades 8 or Below. Offline
MathClub invites middle school students to participate in the AMC 8.
The AMC 8 is a 25-question, 40-minute, multiple-choice examination in middle school mathematics designed to promote the development of problem-solving skills. The AMC 8 provides an opportunity for middle school students to develop positive attitudes towards analytical thinking and mathematics that can assist in future careers. Students apply classroom skills to unique problem-solving challenges in a low-stress and friendly environment.
The material covered on the AMC 8 includes topics from a typical middle school mathematics curriculum. Possible topics include but are not limited to counting and probability, estimation, proportional reasoning, elementary geometry including the Pythagorean Theorem, spatial visualization, everyday applications, and reading and interpreting graphs and tables. In addition, some of the later questions may involve linear or quadratic functions and equations, coordinate geometry, and other topics traditionally covered in a beginning algebra course.
Date and Time
- Jan 21, 2024, 6:00 PM PST (40 min offline)
Students must be in grade 8 or below and also under 14.5 years of age on the day of the competition.
Practice AMC 8
AMC 8 Competition Addresses
The AMC 8 competition could be held at either of the following locations:
- Mountain View Community Center, 201 S Rengstorff Ave, Mountain View, CA 94040
- 400B Ortega Ave, Cabana Building, Mountain View, CA
How to participate
- Please, make sure that your student is a member of MathClub and has an active MathClub Contest Preparation Challenges subscription, The subscription costs $50 per month and includes 2 weekly exercises featuring authentic problems from previous math contests along with a friendly AI agent who can answer students' questions, provide feedback and give hints.
- Complete the AMC 8 registration form for your student and pay the $25 registration fee
AMC 8 Digital Administration
- The digital AMC can be accessed on desktops, laptops, and tablets with a supported browser and OS; however, desktops and laptops are recommended. This year kiosk mode will be available on Google Chromebooks.
- AMC 8 highly encourage all students to try the digital practice competitions to test out the layout and tools, and confirm there are no issues with taking the competition on their device, browser, and internet connection. Students can access them by clicking "Click here for Practice Competitions" at the bottom of the AMC Student Portal login page. If students have technical difficulties taking the practice or official competitions, please email email@example.com.
- The new AMC platform works with recent versions of mainstream web browsers (ex., Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Apple Safari, and Microsoft Edge) and operating systems (ex., Windows, Mac OS, iOS, Chrome OS, and Android).
- Digital competitions will have a countdown clock on the platform to help pace and guide students. However, the system will not automatically submit the competition when the clock runs out due to younger students often needing more flexibility for internet problems or unexpected interruptions.
- Please note that AMC 8 digital administration still requires in-person (NOT remote) participation.
- Permitted materials, during the competition students are only allowed:
- writing utensils
- blank scratch paper
- Prohibited materials include:
- computing devices
- graph paper
- Remote proctoring is not permitted as an alternative. Any students found to have taken the AMC 8 remotely will have their scores canceled.
- Post-competition discussion:
- As schools administer the competition worldwide throughout Competition Week, it is imperative problems and solutions are not discussed in any online or public forum until the day after the competition period ends at 8 a.m. ET.
- Reproduction or dissemination via phone, email, or digital media of any type is a violation of the competition rules. Students will be disqualified.